Thursday, July 23, 2009

And so it begins . . .





July 21 2009




I began last week with a sad lamentation over the lack in my life with no kids (they've been gone for summer break) and no school (I'm a full time student that does not do well without a paper to write). I went on an immediate hobby search, and settled on teaching myself guitar, this hurts and I can now honestly say that although I can akwardly pick out the notes to Ode to Joy, and that I really did "play until my fingers bled, in the summer of '009", it does not provide the immediate fulfillment that I was looking for. This is not to say that I've given up, I still make myself practice everyday. THEN, I was at the bookstore and spotted the book Julie and Julia. I snatched that up right away, and read it in two sittings. During this, I was inspired and hesitant. I love to cook, it needs to be done anyway, so what the hell! This is not to say that I will be going off on an insane Julia Child mission. However, one french meal a week is an open goal I feel I can do. It was time to begin, like RIGHT NOW!

I began that evening with Oeufs en Meurette (pictured above). These were my husbands favorite from the night. And I do admit that eggs with mushrooms on french bread and covered in a red wine sauce, is much, much scrummier (scrumptious + yummy) than even I expected. Not too hard or time consuming either which definately places this dish on the repeat list. The second or main course was made specifically for my husband, "D", because, as the title of this blog suggests, I am a vegetarian, but the rest of my household is not. This proves interesting at the best of times, and I have been gracious enough to adapt and not get squeamish about cookinig for them. Back to the food now! Pot au Feu. Basically, what we have here is beef stew, or to describe it as I overheard "D" describe to his father later that evening, "I think it took alot of time, but it was stew, the best stew I've ever had, but stew." D'ah well. The "best stew I've ever had" was followed by a simplified version of Bavarois a l'orange. This was DELISH! We did not even get a chance to take pictures of it, it was gone so fast. I did, however, manage to snap a picture of the empty bowl! (Perhaps one day I will share this, lol)
Tonight (July 23), I will be making Rognons De Veau En Casserole and Gratin de Pommes de Terre a la Dauphinoise. So stay tuned!
Cheers,
Chriss

No comments:

Post a Comment